Symphonic Orchestra and Concert Orchestra Requirements
GPYO’s Symphonic Division is open to musicians from 8th grade through college age. Each musician who auditions for the GPYO is expected to demonstrate the highest musical and technical standards. Audition requirements for acceptance into the GPYO Symphonic Orchestra are shown below.
Auditions are held at Montgomery Township High School, 1016 Route 601 Skillman, NJ 08558-1799.
Questions? Please contact Mark Morris at email@example.com.
- Solo work of your choice that best demonstrates your level of musicianship.Please prepare the following scales:
- Violins: G Major scale 2 octaves or 3 if possible (1 note to a bow), F Major scale 2 octaves (four notes to a bow), A major arpeggio 2 octaves (bowed as you choose)
- Viola and Cello: C Major scale 2 octaves or three if possible (1 note to a bow), F Major scale 2 octaves (four notes to a bow), D major arpeggio 2 octaves (bowed as you choose)
- Bass: E Major scale 2 octaves (1 note to a bow), Eb major scale 1 octave 91 note to a bow), G Major arpeggio two octaves if possible (bowed as you choose)
- Scales (major, minor, and chromatic, through four flats and sharps, in as many octaves as possible).
Any of the specialized instruments such as Piccolo, English Horn, Bass Clarinet, and Contra-Bassoon may also be heard with as many of the above requirements as possible. Winds should be able to show slurring, staccato, and tonguing, as requested. An extra audition slot should be requested.
Much of the music played by the GPYO Symphonic Orchestra calls for many bowing styles including off-the-string articulation, as well as legato and slurring. When choosing an audition piece it is suggested, but not required, that you choose music demonstrating your ability to perform these bowing styles.
- Snare Drum – Etude from Goldberg: Modern School for Snare Drum, or comparable
- Timpani – Two Drum Etude, from Goodman: Modern Methods for Timpani, or comparable
- Demonstration of mallets on xylophone, marimba, etc.